"Just because it’s hard to get, doesn’t mean that’s what I’m supposed to be doing."
In his last year of college, Eric dropped out of pre-med to pursue a career as a freelance videographer and content creator. Since then he’s vlogged weekly on his YouTube channel, traveled to Costa Rica for work and to learn Spanish, and makes a living doing what he loves.
In this episode, we talk about…
- How he told his Asian parents that he was dropping out of pre-med and doing full-time videography
- How he found his first paying clients (and how much they paid him) and how long it took him to decide and prepare to start his own business
- How he decided to start his YouTube channel and stay consistent with weekly vlogging
- The magic of MKBHD and why Eric watches every single MKBHD video, even though he’s not looking to buy anything
- How he uses his friends to help him make videos that connect
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts
- Stream or downlowd the episode above
Selected Links from the Episode
I was like, “What would it actually look like if I made videos for money, instead of being a doctor?” — Eric Wen
I like making people think about old things in a new way. — Eric Wen
Correction: In the podcast intro, I mention that Eric is a daily vlogger and that he dropped out of med school. Eric is a weekly vlogger and he dropped out of pre-med (undergraduate).